Red5 will be at .4 here pretty quickly and .6 in another couple of months if
not sooner.  0.4 will have the server side api done and remoting will be
included with .5 as well as other scripting languages.

It's not stress tested at all, and we've only begun writing apps against
it.  Although it looks great, it's not ready for production by any means.

On 3/22/06, Rich Rodecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the only one I have played with is ElectroServer, and I can recommend
> that one.  It was easy to set up and get started working with.  Afew
> people recommended oregano...i dont think red5 is that far along yet.
>
> On 3/22/06, Rich Rodecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 3/22/06, Ian Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >   Partly as something of an experiment, but mainly as a testbed and
> > > proof-of-concept for something else entirely, I'm looking at throwing
> > > together a (non-commercial) multi-user game with a Flash interface.
> > >
> > >   It should be fairly straightforward wise - a simple grid-based
> > > interface not too far removed from a simplified Habbo Hotel or
> > > similar. And won't require blistering speed, but will need to keep up
> > > with player movements (on a grid) and simple textual messages
> > > player-to-player.
> > >
> > >   I've been doing a bit of reading on various backends. I'm looking at
> > > running a Java backend (unless there's an extendable C++ or C#
> > > solution out there) and was wondering if anyone had any good/bad
> > > experiences to report on the following - and if there's anything I've
> > > missed that would suit the task better:
> > >   - Oregano (http://www.oregano-server.org/) (I'd prefer AS2, it
> > > appears to be AS1)
> > >   - Red5 (http://www.osflash.org/red5) (Not sure it's got the features
> > > I need yet?)
> > >   - Unity2 (http://www.moock.org/unity/) (Eeep! $140 to get started)
> > >   - Sushi (http://www.rawfish-software.com/)
> > >   - ElectroServer (http://www.electrotank.com/ElectroServer/)
> > >
> > > I need something which is expandable at the backend (you know, so I
> > > can put the bulk of the game engine server-side). The comms needs only
> > > to be very straightforward object/data exchange, nothing fancy - I
> > > don't need lobbies and things, for example.
> > > I'd prefer an AS2.0 API client-side rather than AS1.0.
> > >
> > > I'd also prefer it to be free - at least for enough connections for my
> > > proof of concept (<10 users, I'd guess). I'd _actually_ prefer it to
> > > be Open Source, but that may not be possible.
> > >
> > > My feeling (from a speed perspective) is that I'd be better looking at
> > > something which does binary send/recv rather than XML/SOAP - but I'd
> > > be happy to be proved wrong (debugging XML is so much easier than
> > > binary...)
> > >
> > > Anyone got anything to recommend/any comments on the above/experiences
> > > to share..?
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >   Ian
> > >
> > > Brought to you by Fig Leaf Software
> > > Premier Authorized Adobe Consulting and Training
> > > http://www.figleaf.com
> > > http://training.figleaf.com

John Grden - Blitz