What I don't understand -- and I hasten to say I have no opinion on
the matter, yet -- is why _global is so shunned.  After all, _global is
exactly where AS2 classes are located.  Is this a religious issue?  Is it
because of how _global gets shared (or not?) among dynamically
loaded SWFs?

Because global variables are contrary to the basis of OOP, which is all about abstraction and encapsulation. If you need to store variables somewhere so that they can be reached anywhere, use a singleton, or a static class, or an application object, and so on.

ryanm