I suppose this has been discussed a few times already, but if not:

When you use the Tween class, an Instance of the Class mx.transitions.OnEnterFrameBeacon is
created if not already existing.

In that Class the following line is executed:

var mc = _root.createEmptyMovieClip ("__OnEnterFrameBeacon", 9876);

which means that if you have anything at that depth (9876) already, it will disappear. You can confirm this by a simple test like pasting the following code in the first frame of your movie:
(change the depth to 9875 or 9877 and see the difference..)
import mx.transitions.Tween;
this.createEmptyMovieClip("square_mc", 9876);
square_mc.beginFill(0xFF0000);
square_mc.moveTo(10, 10);
square_mc.lineTo(100, 10);
square_mc.lineTo(100, 100);
square_mc.lineTo(10, 100);
square_mc.lineTo(10, 10);
square_mc.endFill();
var myTween:Tween = new Tween(square_mc, "_x", mx.transitions.easing.Elastic.easeOut, 0, 300, 3, true);

So if you are in a large dynamic project swapping depths a lot and using Tweens, and been experiencing strange problems,
this may be worth to know...

All cred to Robert Penner (obviously the genius behind the Tween Class), but I think this detail could have been improved on before shipping with Flash 8.

Sorry if this has been discussed already...

Regards

/Eskil