My version is the alternative way - not sure about the documentation on
it, although I am sure its in there somewhere. Found this:
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/mx2004/main_7_2/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Flash_MX_2004&file=00001662.html

SetInterval returns you a value- a number in fact that is the "id" of that
particular interval. Capturing that value and storing it makes sure you
have no problems clearing it. The reason you use the this keyword as in
this.intID is to ensure that the interval has access to the class
properties that it might need.

In the case of an fla where you are dumping code, this isn't the case and
you can use your form of the interval.