by the way:

>Peviously in flash7 i used to always attachMovie with an empty mc in the
>library, which i'll continue to do,

thats the same exact result as creating an empty movie clip on stage
with createEmptyMovieClip....excpet with attach movie you have to make
sure that you have the symbol in the library, assign it a linkage
name, and pass an extra parameter to the method call when you want
your blank mc (createEmptyMovieClip(name,depth) vs.
attachMovie(myblankClip, name , depth)).