I'm applying a threshold() to a BitmapData instance and then using
copyChannel() to copy it's red channel to the alpha channel of a different
BitmapData instance. This is part of a technique I'm using to animate
simulated brush strokes without any kind of tweens (just gradations). Much
easier on the processor. Anyway, I whipped together a simple FLA file that
isolates the problem (no brush strokes, sorry). Download the FLA at:

http://www.greensock.com/threshold_bug.zip

Publish the file and you'll see it work. But that's only because I
implemented a hack on line 31 (copying pixels back in from a stored copy).
Remove line 31 and you'll see the problem immediately. All of the pretty
red/green/blue pixels that have ever been made transparent during the course
of the animation (using the threshold()/copyChannel() technique) turn black
and stay that way! No idea why. Am I doomed to a life of hacks? Is my code
somehow flawed? Help? This project has to be finished in a matter of hours,
so I'd appreciate your prompt responses.

I'd be happy to share the final brush stroke effect with anyone who is
interested once I get it working (I'm close).

Jack