are you preventing loding from cache??
for example:
xmlUrl="xmlFile.xml?v="+getTimer()

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sibrand Hoekstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:38 AM
Subject: [Flashcoders] loading updated XML

Hello list,

First off, hi all. I subscribed to this list yesterday and ive seen alot of good posts already, so there's little doubt that anyone can help me out ;)

A little introduction:
Since a few weeks i'm hired at an Internet Development company in town, and my job is primarily xhtml/css development. Yet, the very first project I am doing requires a jpg-viewer flash app. Last week ive been studying books, and code of friends to build what i am building right now, and one of the final steps has got me stuck.

so, here we are:

[actionscript is in the bottom of this email]

I am making a flash movie that loads 10 jpeg files from a xml feed, generated by a phpfile.
Its purpose is to act as a carrousel that loops the jpegs over the screen.
The feed shows the last 10 uploaded jpegs if no parameters are set. If you pass it a parameter called PictureID, it'll give you the jpeg with the given ID plus the 9 jpegs uploaded prior to that.
(ie. feed.php?PictureID=20)

i am having php echo the  given PictureID to html as in this:
<params name="flashvars" value="PictureID=20">

in the actionscript i am retrieving that with _root.PictureID.

Next step is to load the 10 jpegs that come before(10-1) the curently(20-11) loaded jpegs. And here i am having trouble, please checkout the function attached to the button, in the bottom of the script.

First i'm emptying the arrays and unloading currently loaded jpegs.
I then want to reset the PictureID to 10 lower than the current value and 'start all over again' with the new range of jpegs.
Except, at 'loadXML' nothing happens.

So can anyone please help me, or give any insights on how this should be solved?

[p.s. i could also do a getURL() to the page itself and pass the feed.php a new parameter, but we dont want to make it look smooth.. ]

Many thanks in advance,

Sibrand Hoekstra

var speed:Number = 1.5;
var picSpace:Number = 120;
var xmlfeed:String = 'feed.php';
var picturePath:String = 'path/to/picturefolders/;
var picHeight = 90;
var picWidth = 108;

if(_root.PictureID){
   xmlfeed = xmlfeed + '?PictureID=' + _root.PictureID;
}

var currentPic = -1;
var xml:XML = new XML();
var pictures:Array = new Array();
var picFileNames:Array = new Array();
var picIds:Array = new Array();

function pictureScroll() {
   for (i in pictures) {
       pictures[i]._x += speed;
       if (pictures[i]._x-1>((pictures.length-1)*picSpace)) {
           pictures[i]._x -= ((pictures.length)*picSpace);
       }
if (pictures[i]._x > 260 and pictures[i]._x < 360 and currentPic!=i) {
       currentPic = i;           var listener:Object = new Object();
           var mcLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
           listener.onLoadInit = middlePicLoaded;
mcLoader.addListener(listener); mcLoader.loadClip(picFileNames[i], lePicture_mc.middlePic_mc); }
function loadXML() {
   xml.load(xmlfeed);
   xmlObj.ignoreWhite = true;
   xml.onLoad = xmlLoaded;
}
function picLoaded(mc) {
 mc._width = picWidth;
 mc._height = picHeight;
}
function middlePicLoaded(mc) {
   mc._width = 196;
   mc._height = 153;
}
function xmlLoaded(success:Boolean) {
   import mx.xpath.XPathAPI;
if (success) { nodes = XPathAPI.selectNodeList(xml.lastChild, 'feed/picture/file/*'); ids = XPathAPI.selectNodeList(xml.lastChild, 'feed/picture/id/*');
       for (i in nodes) {
           var listener:Object = new Object();
listener.onLoadInit = picLoaded; var mcLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
           mcLoader.addListener(listener);
newPic = pictureScrollContainer.picture_mc.duplicateMovieClip('node'+i, pictureScrollContainer.getNextHighestDepth());
           mcLoader.loadClip(picturePath + nodes[i].toString(), newPic);
           newPic._alpha = 100;
           id = pictures.push(newPic);
picFileNames.push(picturePath + nodes[i].toString()); newPic._x = id * picSpace;
       }
       _root.onEnterFrame = pictureScroll;       }
}

pictureScrollContainer.picture_mc._alpha = 0;
loadXML();

_root.prev_btn.onRelease = function(){
   _level0.pictureScrollContainer.unloadMovie();
   _level0.middlePicture_mc.unloadMovie();
   for(i in pictures){
        pictures.shift();       picFileNames.shift();
   }
   trace(_root.PictureID);
  set("_root.PictureID", (_root.PictureID - 10));
   trace(_root.PictureID);

   loadXML();
  trace('hmm');