From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
Sent:   Wed 4/12/2006 12:59 PM
To:     Flashcoders mailing list
Subject:        Re: [Flashcoders] Instantiate a class by string - SOLVED

On 12-apr-2006, at 17:05, Ian Thomas wrote:

> Import doesn't actually use the class per se - a solid reference of
> some sort (such as the declaration of a variable or the creation of an
> object) of that class suddenly means that it's actually been used, and
> so the compiler notes that it needs to be compiled and included in the
> output .swf.
>
> The same, as far as I can recall (it's been a while now), is true
> of Java.

It seems logical that import makes the classes available in the
context into which they are imported. What seems un-logical to me is
that it's impossible to force "burn-in" of these classes even if they
are not being called explicitly (with standard Flash means).

As for Java - I don't see how this is relevant because every class
gets compiled into a .class file and you can describe which classes
a .jar contains (so they can be looked up inside the jar). Not so
with an SWF which is an all-or-nothing :-)