Yes it seems like the items that are dynamically loaded into the combo boxes
were not available in the library. I'm a bit confused though Radley, after
exposing the combobox in your root.swf library were the dropdowns working?
I'm not sure if you've put the comboboxes onto the root.

anyway, the way to solve this would be to make the depth of the combobox
who's y position is lowers depth lower than the rest.

let's say cb1, cb2, cb3 are you combo boxes and target is your movieclip
that they're on, where 1 has the lowest y position and 3 has the highest.

var i = target.getNextHighestDepth();

cb3.swapDepths(i);
cb2.swapDepths(++i);
cb1.swapDepths(++i);

just remember, anything with a depth greater than 1048575 cannot be removed
using removeMovieClip(), I would not recommend using getNextHighestDepth for
this reason but this is one way of explaining how you can avoid the
overlapping.

Hope this helps,

M.