> As a thought, though.  Is there anyone out there who even thinks they
> have the skills to develop there own Flash player?  The way I see it, so
> long as it doesn't directly read the SWF format, there would be no
> license infringement!  And one could always create a third party file
> converter ;)

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

As long as you don't accept Adobes license for the Flash Player File
Format docs, you should be free to develop a Flash Player clone that
reads SWF. But then again, i'm not a lawyer, but i would guess the GNU
foundation consults lawyers to secure their projects.
cheers,
claus.