I've seen this bug before - is it Flash 7 or below?  Read this:

http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/000054.html

Some of the suggested fixes:

1) Decrease the stress placed on the player by reducing the number of
components on-screen at one time, and removing/optimizing idle
processes. I'm not sure why MM components sitting on the stage doing
nothing place so much stress on the player, but they do. We did not have
any idle processes in our application, but this FLAw was still very
evident. I'll go into more details in my next post on how to reduce
stress on the player, but briefly: avoid form-based development, unless
your application uses less than 50 components total; avoid idle
processes by taking advantage of events; and be sure to remove any
content that isn't being used, especially if it includes components. You
have to actually remove the content, not just hide it - remember, hidden
content uses almost as much resources as visible content.

2) Change all Release events to Press events. This is hardly an ideal
solution, but it does work. If you're using components, you can
overwrite SimpleButton.as and make modifications so that most components
will use Press for their "click" events. I'd make them myself, and post
the results, but then I'd be violating the EULA.

3)One posted wrote: "Ok, I'm starting to wonder if you do a setFocus if
that will fix the issue. I notice if I have the error happening and I
look at a different window (like a messenger) and then focus back on
flash everything works again. Posted by: Mark Statkus at May 14, 2004
05:48 PM

Fix: (atleast for me)

blah.onRelease = function() {
        this._focusrect = false;
        Selection.setFocus(this);
        //do whatever your button was doing
};

Jason Merrill   |   E-Learning Solutions   |  icfconsulting.com

NOTICE:
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged or
confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of this e-mail by you
is prohibited.