Maybe Microsoft took their own initiative, but it is still a reaction to Eoals. If Eolas wasn't pushing their bogus patent, Microsoft would not have done this. Its silly to say they did this to hurt Adobe as it affects all active x objects including Microsoft's own windows media player. The only company that gains here is Eolas... The rest of the world gets screwed.

Well, not only that, but the switch had to be made sooner or later, right? Why just push the inevitable forward - instead of learn to deal with it now, while the new MSIE is still on beta testing and not shipping, and the only way to get it to the current MSIE being through some patch most people won't even install?

Maybe it's only me, but I think it's great we're being 'forced' to do the jump to FlashObject (or whatever) now simply because the active content problem *exists*, instead of being forced when the active content problem is *mainstream* and we have to rush things to un-screw client websites.

One can argue that more time would be better to make sure all of our content were compliant, but c'mon - the patent problem has been decided what, a couple years ago, and I didn't see anyone rushing to fix anything on their websites or even discussing it on the list other than saying "well, this sucks". The whole thing just started big after the beta or the patch had been made available to moderately normal people (us flash developers). Better earlier than later -- I don't see how MS is trying to screw anyone... specially because they're also getting equally screwed in the process.

- Zeh