Mick,
It is certainly possible. I am currently working on a intranet project that is exactly what you want to achieve. I have about 80~100 clients that are connected to a socket server. Flash clients are build as windows desktop clients and everything goes through persistent xmlsockets. Everything runs smooth and Flash player is quite fast for xml parsing (as long as you keep your messages small and simple). The thing is that it is scalable, if for example I needed to talk to 1000 clients, I could add another socket server.... Socket servers that you can use for that are ElectroServer, Oregano, Offbeat (the one I use) or of course FlashComm.

Don't hesitate to contact me offlist to know more about this architecture.

Regards,
Julien

Mick G a écrit :
Does anyone know if it's possible to push content from a database to a list
of flash clients (or widgets running on a desktop).

I can have a flash app that checks every X seconds for new content from a
database, but wondering if there's a way to do it in the other direction and
push the content from a database to the flash clients without them having to
poll the database. Are XML SocetServers the key here? Is there an issues
with server strain on such things if say 1000 clients are connected to the
server?

Any info, ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

- Mick