Peter is right. I had all kinds of issues with certain Jabber XMPP
servers that wouldn't return the null byte at the end of stanzas.
XMLSocket definitely needs this. And as he says, if it receives one of
those suckers in the middle of one of your packets, it's going to
trigger the onMessage event. Plus, whatever you get back will need to
go through some type of deserialization, and Flash 8 and below are way
too slow to make most protocols practical.

If you need binary data over a socket for any player less than Flash
9, take a look at using RTMP. Either Flash Media Server or Red5 would
be a good solution.

Red5 will obviously give you more flexibility as it's open source (you
might even be able to implement your own protocol on top of RTMP), but
we are not quite ready for production deployments at the moment. With
that said, it is working, and you may be able to start working on your
solution right away.

For more info on Red5 take a look here: http://osflash.org/red5

-Chris