Hi,
if I don't get wrong when you call duplicateMovieClip() as a method of the class MovieClip (opposite to the global function duplicateMovieClip()) - like in your code - you shouldn't provide
a target param:

e.g.
a.duplicateMovieClip("b",1);
/* duplicates mc a and assignes the copy mc the identifier b */

and yes, duplicates are created as siblings, that means they share the same parent with the origin mcs
so in my previous example:

a.a_child = b_copy_child;

b_copy_child is actually in the b timeline, but since it is a duplicate you can use it for your purposes
without modifying the origin b_child (library item).
if you remove b from runtime, you'll lose the reference contatined in a.a_child as well

to force a physycal copy of a mc, I think you have no choice but looping into its property/methods and assigning
same values to corresponding mc_copy p/m

HTH
francesco.p

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
Francesco: I think that, by creating a new property on movieclip "a" and
referencing it to the b_copy_child (which in turn references "copy" in
movieclip "b") would only allow you to control the "copy" movieclip located
into movieclip "b".

I don´t have flash here so I can´t test anything and I´m just curious about
(as it has been quite some time since the last time I used
duplicateMovieClip) if this would work:

_root.duplicateMovieClip(_root.movieclip_b.mymc,"mycopiedclip",1);

Would this code create a instance of the movieclip mymc into _root?

- Marcelo.