Good news, I just found some code on the U of Utah site. I';ts in
java, but it should allow me work out my own implimentation in action
script

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Weldon MacDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 11, 2006 8:48 AM
Subject: sprouts data structure

I have a request for a game called sprouts. The game starts with a few
randomly distributed dots. There is one move and 2 restrictions.
Move:   draw a line for a dot to itself (a loop) or to another dot.
Any line drawn has a new dot on it.
Restriction 1: no more than 3 lines from any dot.
Restriction 2: no lines can cross.

Simple game, but the data structure to keep track of the game and in
particular to handle restriction 2 is a bear. How do you tell when a
dot has been encircled by a line?

The game is, of course based on graph theory, and you can represent a
graph in several ways, but how to determine that it remains planar?

I haen't begun to think about the visual part of this, if I don't have
a reasonable data structure I can't teach a computer to play the game.

Any ideas? Hints? Wildly improbable ideas?

--
Weldon MacDonald

--
Weldon MacDonald