heh...actually i got it to work fine.  turns out i was just doing
something wrong setting the DataGrid's dataProvider.

(turns out it really doesnt like it when you use an array of xmlnodes'
attribute objects for the dp, so I just copied the attribute objects
into a new object before adding it to the dp...just in case someone
else runs into that).