Matt,

On a reasonably fast computer, a file of 4600+ XML nodes can be slurped in
under one second, required download time aside.

Your XML requirements are not that steep, so it seems to me that your
issue is likely something else not completely obvious in your code sample.

Suggestions:

1. If you're placing incoming XML text content into HTML-rendered text
fields (primarily using CSS formatting) this can account for a delay.
Flash handles tasks related to HTML text very inefficiently (compared to a
browser, for example). This can create a significant delay.

I've seen this in things I've created that display instantly until I apply
text formatting, then it takes a couple of seconds to load.

2. If you're using a pre-loading mechanism, you need to be sure to import
class code and Library assets that are exporting for ActionScript on a
frame subsequent to the one used to display pre-loader graphics and/or
load in your XML data. Loading a bunch of class code and object data,
which likely have little or nothing to do with your XML, on the first
frame -- the default, can create a significant delay.

-
pixelTwiddler, a.k.a. Jason