Hi Derek,
 That's really interesting - and goes against everything I'd expect.
Particularly when your other results have kind of proved the opposite
(and I've certainly proved the opposite before with ClassFinder
situations). A couple of other tests might prove illuminating...

- Is the same true of non-Macromedia classes? (i.e. have they hacked
something specifically for those? I'd doubt it, but you never know)

- How does it behave when you do something like:
import mx.controls.Button;
var a:String="mx";
trace(_global[a]['controls']['Button']);

In other words, is the compiler doing some cunning reduction on the
string literals and actually working out that you're using the class?
Again, I doubt it, but you never know!

You have me mystified. :-D

I'd test it myself, but have to rush off now to put up a tent in about
10cm of muddy water in a field somewhere in the middle of the UK. If
nothings come to light by the beginning of next week, I'll have
another look. :-)

Cheers,
 Ian