Can anyone tell me why this outputs -1 for every value? Could it be because the
textfield looses focus when I click on the button component?  I am trying to
get the first and last position of the selected text in a dynamic textfield.
Any pointers would be awesome!

Outputs: String to Underline: |B: -1 |E: -1 |C: -1

var underline_check:Object = new Object();
underline_check.click = function(eventObj:Object) {
        var startIndex:Number = Selection.getBeginIndex();
    var endIndex:Number = Selection.getEndIndex();
    var strToUnderline:String = editdesc_txt.text.substring(startIndex,
endIndex);
        trace("String to Underline: "+strToUnderline + "|B:
"+Selection.getBeginIndex()+ " |E: "+Selection.getEndIndex() + " |C:
"+Selection.getCaretIndex());
    editdesc_txt.replaceText(startIndex, endIndex, "<u>"+strToUnderline+"</u>");

};
underline_btn.addEventListener("click", underline_check);

Boots