ahhh yes julien you are correct. In fact this is almost the exact thing i
did when you advised me on listeners a few posts back :)

On 09/06/06, Julien Vignali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm afraid mike but you're wrong.
The MovieClip.onRelease handler doesn't pass any parameter...
From the help files : MovieClip.onRelease = function() {}
What Jeff could do is using a Delegate alternative class that allows him
to pass parameters to the handler, but he can also link his button
movieclips to a class that would dispatch events:

class MenuButton extends MovieClip {

  // EventDispatcher mix-in functions here

  public function MenuButton(){
    EventDispatcher.initialize(this);
  }

  public function onRelease():Void {
    dispatchEvent({type:"click", target:this});

class Menu extends MovieClip {

  private var btn1:MenuButton
  private var btn2:MenuButton

  public function Menu(){
    btn1.addEventListener("click", Delegate.create(this, onMenuRelease);
    btn2.addEventListener("click", Delegate.create(this, onMenuRelease);
  }

  private function handleEvent(event:Object):Void {
    if (event.target == btn1) {
      // do some stuff...
      btn1.enabled = false;
      btn2.enabled = true;