Hi List,

What's the neatest way of accepting a single parameter with 2 possible types
into a method and then working out what type of parameter has been passed?

e.g. in pseudo code

private function myMethod( i:Number/String ):Void {

  if ( i is a String ) {
     // do this
  } else if ( i is a Number ) {
     // do this

I can think of several alternatives :
- passing a generic object which contains the property and then using typeof
on that property
- calling 2 different methods but, in this case, it just makes sense to be
one since it's doing the same thing with either parameter (retrieving a bit
of data from an Array which may be identified using a numerical id or a
String ID)
- limiting my method to accepting a String only and then defining a second
method that returns the correspoding String identifier given a numerical
identifier

All of the ways I can think of seem dirty. Is there a nice clean way or is
it wrong to expect the method to accept one parameter of different types?

Thanks in advance,
Adrian P.