-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Carl
Welch
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:10 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] OT: Junior Developer Flash/Flex Salary?

Why worry about code you've written before? If it were an issue then
no one would be able to build more than one web page in a life time
because you'll inevitably use the same embed tags more than once. No
client knows how or what you code, much less who your other clients
are.

Also, if you let someone pay you $11 dollars an hour - then you are
only worth $11 dollars an hour.

--carl

On 6/20/06, Ron Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Lapasa wrote:
> > These are most interesting points Radley.
> >
> > However on the topic of 'pre-made code', I am now wondering what is the
> > practices of some the freelancer/consultants/etc. on the list. If people
pay
> > you money for code, be it 30k or 100k, is it right to use your past
> > developed code on future code?
> >
> > I think when taking on gig's, it's meant that you are generating code
they
> > don't would not initially have. Once the gig is done, I think the
business
> > has an understanding that they paid you for the code and they own the
code?

> They usually own the code but not the things that you have learned
> writing it.
> > If they don't own the code, then does it becomes a matter of licensing?
> >
> If it one or 2 classes, then you can rewrite it pretty easily. If it is
> a whole set of functionality that you want to reuse, it is probably a
> good idea to ask for permission. They will likely say "yes" and they
> will be very impressed by your ethics.
> > I guess what I am asking is if you have previously developed code and
use it
> > on other clients, is it ok?
> >

> It leaves your new clients open to being sued. Not likely to happen but
> it can be very embarrassing.

Carl Welch
http://www.carlwelch.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]