Hooray for me! It looks like embedding the font and applying a TextFormat to
the temporary TextField does the trick. Of course, now I have to ensure that
there's a suitable font embedded in any SWF that uses this class, but I guess
you can't have it all. Anyone else discover an alternate solution that would
avoid this?

-mark hawley

> From: John Mark Hawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/06/29 Thu PM 01:22:27 CDT
> To: <Flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
> Subject: [Flashcoders] TextField PrintJob oddities
>
> I'm having an odd problem with a wrapper I've written for the PrintJob class.
> One of the methods of the wrapper, printString(), takes a string of arbitrary
> length and is *supposed* to print all of it, breaking it over pages as
> needed. It *almost* works, and I need some assistance figuring out where the
> real problem is. Here's how it works now:
>
> 1. start the printJob so we have access to pageWidth and pageHeight
>
> 2. create a temporary TextField with the dimensions of pageWidth and
> pageHeight, with multiline and wordWrap on, all other settings as default
>
> 3. put the string into the TextField
>
> 4. get the number of pages and number of lines per page by setting scroll=1
> and checking bottomScroll and maxscroll
>
> 5. add enough newline padding to the end of the string so that the last page
> can scroll up high enough
>
> 5. for each page:
>     a.  set scroll = loopIndex * linesPerPage + 1
>     b.  addPage( tempTextField )
>
> 6. send the printJob to the printer
>
> Sound good? Good. Now, when I look at my temporary text field on screen, I
> see that, with my printer settings and default formatting, 50 lines are
> visible on screen at a time. *However* when I look at my printouts, I get 55
> lines per page! (This is a problem because the code *thinks* only 50 lines
> fit on a page, so the pagination goes screwy.) Oh, and this happens even if I
> printAsBitmap.
>
> Is there an alternate approach I'm missing? Is the size difference between
> screen and print text linear? Should I be fooling around with different
> TextFormats to try applying to my temporary TextField? I welcome any
> suggestions.
>
> -Mark Hawley
>
> --
> John Mark Hawley