The dispatcher doesn't need to know it's a unique ID.  It just sends a
unique ID which is then picked up by the listener.

So, let's say you have 5 swfs listening to channel "Rock".  They all
want to hear Rock, but they also need to hear advertising to their local
area.  So, you would pass a unique ID as an argument and the listeners
would then parse it out so you might send "Area1" as the unique ID and
"Area2" as another ID and in your receiver script the swfs would
determine if the message was for them or not by checking for the
argument.

A long time ago, I wrote a LocalConnection class.  It might be of use
for researching purposes.  It's written in AS1 but I think it's a decent
starting point for learning more about LC.  It supports sending methods
and arguments across LC, including the target, as well as a test method
"ping" to make sure the connection is alive, and if it isn't it will
reconnect.

http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/pipermail/flashcoders/2003-May/076262.html

BLITZ | Steven Sacks - 310-551-0200 x209