If you want to create a SWF that doesnt use the Flex Framework:

--HelloWorld.as--
package
{
        import flash.display.Sprite;

        public class HelloWorld extends Sprite;
        {
                public funciton HelloWorld()
                {
                        trace("Hello World");

Then compile like so:

mxmlc HelloWorld.as

That will compile a SWF.

If you want to use the Flex Framework, then you :

a. have to use the technique I describe below
b. have to take the size hit that using the framework entails

Hope that helps...

mike chambers

[EMAIL PROTECTED]