Yeah, I think it gets worse. I'm used to a pattern where you create a whole bunch of something — so, back to the problem I originally asked, if I want have my "mainClip" create a dozen subClip instances and tuck each one of those instances in an Array for later use, especially calling that useful method. I guess I'm asking how one can call a method on an instance where the instance's name is derived at runtime.

For instance, in this example you provided, which works for the single "subClip00" instance variable, how would I do the same thing, only with a runtime derived name?

class mainClip extends MovieClip
{
        public var subClip00:subClip;

        function mainClip() {
                trace("new mainClip!");

                init();
        }

        function init():Void {
                for(int i=0; i<12; i++) {
                        attachMovie("subClip", "subClip_"+i,
this.getNextHighestDepth());
//this.subClip00.usefulMethod(); this won't work..how to call a method with no reference — only a name?

But, the bigger question is: why don't things like attachMovie or such return references to the things they're "attaching"?

Julian