Nice hack if you aks me. Thanks. Based on this hack I can be sure it's not supported. Sadly enough.
Oh well, thanks for sharing the hack.

Yours,
Weyert
Hello :)

Try this method :

package
{

import flash.utils.getQualifiedClassName;
import flash.errors.IllegalOperationError;

class AbstractClass
{
   public function AbstractClass ()
   {
       var path:String = getQualifiedClassName(this) ;
       if( path == "AbstractClass")
       {
throw new IllegalOperationError("AbstractClass is abstract, you
can't instanciate it directly.");
       }

       trace("in A constructor : "+ path);

class MyClass extends AbstractClass {

   public function MyClass() {

       super() ;

class MainClass {

   public function MainClass() {

       var i:MyClass = new MyClass() ; // ok
       var a:AbstractClass = new AbstractClass() ; // throw
IllegalOperationError

EKA+ :)