I need to find a solution to a problem. I have a couple different options so far.

the problem:
I need to be able to execute some flash commands when a file is changed. ( needs to be as close to real-time as possible ). The file is a basic log file.

possible solutions:
-Now what i'm wondering is if it's possible to use c++ to extend flash and add some sort of file watching object. so have c++ be watching the file, and as it's being written to be notifying another object in flash of the change.

-python, socket server.

any recommendations or help in the right direction would be appreciated.
thanks