No Actionscript in your question, this should probably be on the Flashnewbie
list, but....

Are you sure there is no compression going on from Photoshop?  If I remember,
.jpgs exported from Photoshop or Fireworks have about 80% compression by
default.  Make sure your settings for the .jpg are at 100% (Highest Quality).

Also, in your publish, be sure you have no compression setting on the .jpgs -
change the quality to 100%.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning & Organization Effectiveness - Technology Solutions