Thanks, Kevin -- works like a dream!

- Marc

At 11:33 AM 7/22/2006, you wrote:
I use apachefriends.org

Its a no brainer!  Make sure to shut your firewall off when installing.

Kevin

From: Marc Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Flashcoders] need help with local apache test server
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:00:01 -0700

I'm trying to set up a local apache server for testing PHP on my laptop. This is all new territory for me and although I've followed instructions on several sites, it won't work. I do have TCP/IP working. During setup and when trying to start the server, I get this DOS message:

Installing the Apache2.2 service
The Apache2.2 service is successfully installed.
Testing httpd.conf....
Errors reported here must be corrected before the service can be started.
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  25...

I then tried installing WAMP, which integrates the apache server functionality. I used it to have Apache test port 80 (which is what the server is using) and first got a DOS alert that Skype might be using it. Closed Skype, re-tested port 80, and got the DOS alert "Your port 80 is not actually used."

Then I used WAMP to "Install Service" and got the DOS message: "Your port 80 is available, Install will proceed." But a subsequent test of Port 80 once again indicated "Your port 80 is not actually used."

WAMP allows direct setting of the WWW root, and I have pointed it to a location with an index.html file. But my browser (firefox) cannot open http://localhost/ or http://localhost/test01 where I have another index.html file.

I'd appreciate help from anyone who understands this stuff.

Thanks,
Marc