There was mention on the SWFObject list that the expressinstall servers were being hit pretty hard right now because myspace (the #1 site on the internet traffic wise) started requiring Flash Player 9, and are using expressinstall...

so there's thousands (millions?) of people upgrading right now and for the past couple of weeks.

just gotta wait for adobe to either add more servers or for the flow of upgrades to settle down a bit.