>> strip them out and replace with what
>>you need for the corresponding styles for your site....

Right, if I follow you, that's similar to what I have tried, but I can't
get the textfield to re-render the HTML tag  - it shows the tag
literally if I use replaceText() or replaceSel().

Or how would you do it?  Have a code example?  thanks.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning & Organization Effectiveness - Technology Solutions

textfield.replaceText(Selection.getBeginIndex(),Selection.getEndIndex(),
>>> theNewString)
>>>
>>> or something to that effect.
>>>
>>> So to my second question, I was able to get the above working, but
the
>>> html Textfield would not apply the new HTML tags, it would show them
>>> literally when replaceText was used.  Initially, I set the text with
>>> textField.htmlText = myText and renders fine with the bolding, but
>>> textField.replaceText() seems to not allow the textfield to show the
>>> bold tags applied - it shows the literal tag.   Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Basically, would like to create a WSIWYG HTML text editor (flash 7),
but
>>> from what I read in the archives, it's a lot harder than it sounds
and