Haven't followed the thread close, but maybe wrap it up in a static
class like this - call your custom function which has all the tweens
combined.  This is what I do, works for me.  Something like this:

//file Animate.as in actionscriptclasspath/com/boa/effects/

import mx.transitions.Tween;
import mx.transitions.easing.*;

class com.boa.effects.Animate{
   public static function myFade(clip:MovieClip, time:Number,
xscale:Number, yscale:Number):Array{
      var a:Object = new Tween(clip, "_alpha", Regular.easeIn, 0, 100,
time, true);
      var b:Object = new Tween(clip, "_xscale", Regular.easeIn, xscale,
100, time, true);
      var c:Object = new Tween(clip, "_yscale", Regular.easeIn, yscale,
100, time, true);
      //returnArray is just an array of the tweens
      //so you can check to see if they are done:
      var returnArray:Array = new Array(a,b,c)
      return returnArray;

//.fla and/or other class usage:

import.com.boa.effects.Animate;
Animate.myFade(myClip, .5, 50, 50)

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning & Organization Effectiveness - Technology Solutions