Could either use shared object to determine if the computer had viewed the
video before, or perhaps some user-variable on a server side script. I
suppose good old cookies might even do the trick.

I typically prefer shared objects to cookies. For no particular reason, just
find them easier I guess. Here's some psuedo code mixed with shared object
programming....

//Before video starts....
var my_so:SharedObject = SharedObject.getLocal("vidViewed");
var hasSeenVid = my_so.data.hasSeenVid;
if(hasSeenVid == undefined){
hasSeenVid = false;
}