inputField is a "property" of the object/movieclip it was created in.

chat_input is the physical existance of the movieclip you're referencing
with inputField.  It doesn't seem retarded to me.  You *may* want that
separation for a reason some day down the line.

I personally name then the same thing when it's referenced localy (in the
same object):

var inputField:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("inputField",
this.getNextHighestDepth());

createEmptyMovieClip returns a MovieClip reference for you to use.  Imagine
if you created that movieclip in some other timeline/MovieClip.  With that
returned reference, you wouldn't really care where the movieclip lived, just
as long as you had a reference to it.

hth,