I love Crash Media's stuff, but I find the fact it takes over your Browser size infinitely more annoying than the pseudo 3d effect of that site. I actually thought the site with it's easy option menus really quite nice.

As for Jakob Nielsen, if he had his way the world would be a very droll place...(would you want the web to all look like http:// www.useit.com/). His work towards an appreciation for accessibility is respected but our world's full of so much more than numbers and facts, why shouldn't the web be the same?!

Anyhow, as for the original question, a simplified concept of what's going on there...

Say the distance from an item to the camera is reduced to a number (for example 0 -1000), then you can use that number to effect the scale of that object, creating the pseudo 3d 'vanishing towards the horizon'.

Things you want to watch out for include:
- Scale your objects using an Exponential scaler (check out the Easing ANimation Equations if you don't know them yet) - The object should have a registration point the same as your 'vanishing point' on the horizon. (In most cases you'll be using attachMovie to add your items, in which case another empty MovieClip in between can help you create this off axis space) - The amount your object is above or below the y axis will affect how much the scale effects it's Y position, which is what will give you the correct sense of depth. Leaving it on 0 will keep objects on one axis (as if you're lying on the ground looking straight ahead) - Remember to hide items above 1000 (that have gone behind the camera) or less than 0 (otherwise they start appearing again flipped round)

For some kind of example (I'm sure there's better about), you can check out http://www.electricpavilion.org, click on 'Urban' or one of the other words above the Flash to see a number of buildings appear from the horizon. I can offer you examples of this code if it's helpful. Email off list.

Hope this helps,
Dan