I can see this being pretty useful. It would definately simplify one
of my apps, where I currently use swfmill to combine a directory of a
bunch of JPEGs into a single swf for faster loading. Instead, I can
just use a standard zip file!

-David R

On 8/11/06, Claus Wahlers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Right now there's several things that could be done with this that I
> can think of. Like Claus said, a tool could be created that takes
> regular zip files and adds checksum info without damaging
> compatibility.

A quick progress report, just in case somebody is interested:

We kinda got it working.

See here for a rough demo:
http://codeazur.com.br/stuff/fzip/
Flash Player 9 required, obviously.

I grabbed the original ZIP from here:
http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/
and use it as is. It contains 1002 icons in PNG format. Flash Player
loads the ZIP via URLStream and decodes it on the fly. This works
because the zipped PNGs are not being recompressed (PNG already uses
compression).

Max wrote a small Python script that unobtrusively injects Adler32
checksums into ZIPs, so very soon we'll be able to properly uncompress
slightly modified, but still standard ZIP archives.

Sources are going to be released soon, stay tuned.
Cheers,
Claus.