Seems like the landscape is:

Flash IDE 8 and Flash Player 8 is current. Player 8 offers some nice
features like blurs, drop shadows, really really nice anti-aliased
text and bitmap manipulation.

Thing is, Flash Player 7 is better seeded in the world, so, if you
publish to Player 8, you need to run swfobject or Adobe's Express
Install to check player version and force an upgrade to player 8. Not
_too_ hard on the user, but, they still have to experience a player
upgrade.

It is still quite common to use Flash MX2004 or Flash IDE 8 and
publish to player 7.

Flash Player 9 is kind of a bridge to the future? It has many
performance improvements, and can use AS3. Flash IDE 9 will use AS3
and Player 9, but you can start tinkering around with AS3 now if you
want.

If you think some of the features of Player 8 are worth it (the text
rendering is a lot better, shadows and blurs are a welcome addition)
then check for and force the player upgrade.

Flex uses AS3, so, there is that connection Adobe is using to get
Flash developers going on the transition. Seems like Flex is going to
take over the RIA market and Flash will be used for multimedia widgets
and stuff like you already see out there now.

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding of the situation.