Hi John,
thanks for your reply!

You said:
?? "ocx" is "ActiveX", and the only browser which uses this is Microsoft
Internet Explorer for Windows and its offspring (Maxthon (sp?), etc).
Other browsers use Netscape Plugins.

And you are right, but within other software such as a visual basic program
which needs to display flash or other programs that like to host flash
content, the ocx might be needed.

I'm going with the licensing option, thanks!
grtz
Hans

On 8/18/06, John Dowdell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hans Wichman wrote:
> is there anyway to install the latest flashplayer ocx without visiting
the
> adobe site with internet explorer?

Yes, Internet Explorer for Windows will usually do a background
installation of any needed updates to an ActiveX Control. The following
search term pulls up documentation:
http://www.google.com/search?q=object+codebase+version

> I can download the archived players, but i can't download the latest,
> except through a browser install.

Yes, Adobe does keep a backstock of archived Players which can be
downloaded for development testing purposes, not redistribution. If
you'd like to redistribute the current Player for intranet or hard-copy
delivery, then please see:
http://www.adobe.com/licensing/distribution

> Just seems so much hassle to provide the ocx to non internet explorer
users,
> or am I missing things here?

?? "ocx" is "ActiveX", and the only browser which uses this is Microsoft
Internet Explorer for Windows and its offspring (Maxthon (sp?), etc).
Other browsers use Netscape Plugins.

If none of the above addressed your needs then please advise, thanks.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd