Well Id personally let your server do the conversion from the  flash
output.  This will give you more more scope for error checking and
taking the role of this away from flash provides your client with more
security.

If you decide later on that you want to add more options to flash you
can easily add them and then add the processing routines to your PHP
script.

You could do the transfers from Flash to your server using Flash
remoting (AMFPHP).

While your reading is email really the right path to go down?  Surely
a web based interface to view the orders would be a far better option.

You could add the functionality to alter orders before they are
processed.  You could even add the functiopnality to add a custom
handler so when your client clicks a link set up on this interface the
file opens in their tshirt program, emails the client to say they are
being printed and no more changes can be made...payment is now being
collected etc.

Cheers,
Tom