I've been looking for a while for a word processor component that would extend the functionality of the basic rich text editor from Flash but I couldn't find any. We are in the planning stages for a new project and one of the key things that we would need is a text editor able to handle at least pictures and tables if not more.

The first question would be, is there such a component already written by somebody else? I don't think the Flex Framework has anything like this but even a third party thing that we could license would do.

I'm somewhat familiar with ActionScript with a strong background in C++ so I could undertake writing such a component. However the run time speed tests that I've made to try to manually compute the layout and then cache everything in a bitmap didn't prove too encouraging. Once everything is cached in a bitmap you can scroll it just fine but the speed at which the layout gets rendered to that bitmap - when the user presses a key and causes a word wrap, let's say - is not at all "interactive".

Any thoughts on this? Is FP9 fast enough but just my approach is wrong? Is it possible to develop such a component?

I'd gladly appreciate any suggestions in this matter since our choice of Flash kind of hangs on this issue right now...

Thank you in advance!

Catalin