I've also found a few quirks with removeMovieClip... however most of them seem to be related to depth. I use this class whenever I remove a clip (dynamically attached or otherwise), and it seems to do the trick.

/**
The MovieClipRemover class is a static utility class which removes timeline movieclips

usage example:
MovieClipRemover.remove(test_mc);
*/

class MovieClipRemover {

        // constructor
        function MovieClipRemover () {}

        // remove a timeline (or any depth) movieclip from the stage
        static function remove (mc:MovieClip) {
                var parent:MovieClip = mc._parent;
                if (parent != null) {
                        var tempMC:MovieClip = parent.getInstanceAtDepth(0);
                        mc._visible = false;
                        mc.swapDepths(0);
                        mc.removeMovieClip();
                        if (tempMC != undefined) tempMC.swapDepths(0);

-Danro