-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of ryanm
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:48 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] XML question

> But I found out I can do a find and replace on the "empty lines" in
> Dreamwever so I`m gonna play with that!

    If you have access to any decent text editor you should be able to get
rid of them. I use UltraEdit for this, because it supports RegExp in the
replace dialog. Basically, you just want to replace "\r\n" (or whatever the
equivalent is in your text editor) with "\n", and that should fix it. Be
aware, though, that you will have to use different expressions for this in
different editors.

    In essence, \r is a hard return and \n is a line feed (or "newline"),
and some databases/operating systems/languages/etc insert only a hard
return, some insert only a line feed, and some insert both. So in your text
editor, find out how to do a find and replace on only the hard return
character. In UltraEit, when *not* using RegExp, you can use ^r and ^n as
search terms for \r and \n, and you can use ^p ("paragraph break") as a
search term for \r\n, and then replace it with ^n (just a newline
character). With RegExp enabled in the replace dialog, you can just use the
\r and \n, as is usual in RegExp. You might want to look and see if you can
find a demo copy of UltraEdit just for this replacement, it's very useful
for this sort of thing. I used it to reformat over 120 files all in one
swoop with it, which saved me tons of time.

ryanm

Premier Authorized Adobe Consulting and Training http://www.figleaf.com