From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andreas Rønning
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 2:34 AM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Re: OOP methodology and flash. I'm loosing myfaith...

As Neo said, don't sweat the OOP.

I honestly, truly, vividly believe that in 9 out of 10 approaches to an
AS2 flash application, most if not all design patterns boil down to
overengineering. Like you, i've spent so long pulling my hair out trying
to factor design patterns into my actual application functionality to no
avail, yet falling back to a generic event model and inventing and
extending as i go tend to resolve my issues fairly well, with less
obfuscated code (as long as i keep my typing strict) and in far less
time, especially since i started using FlashDevelop. In terms of
production, what truly, actually matters, is that your client receives a
solution that is stable, reliable, user frieindly and help ssell their
product somehow, be it a website, a kiosk app, a presentation tool,
whatever. The quality of a product isn't dictated by its OOP structure.

I use OOP, and by OOP i mean inheritance and polymorphism, extensively
to abstract problems down to a comfortable size. But do i feel less of a
developer because i don't use MVC? Not by miles.

IMHO, design patterns apply to RIAs and development in large groups.
They do not apply to making a mouse trailer that says "loading" and a
slideshow you can solve with 3-4 short classes and no inheritance. In
typical flash instances, all AS2 is is less anarchic AS1. It is not C++.

my $.2

- Andreas SJ