The problem is with this code- the onRelease function is a method of the btn movieclip... so it doesn't have access to the dispatchEvent function.

btn.onRelease = function() {
                        trace('dispatching event');
dispatchEvent({type:'click', target:this, message:btn+' was clicked'});
                };

You could just do something like this instead if you want a quick local function:

var btnRelease = function () { dispatchEvent({type:'click', target:this, message:btn+' was clicked'}); }
btn.onRelease = Delegate.create(this, btnRelease);

Delegate saves the day again...

-Danro