If you want to use TextFormat, you can apply a textformat to a text selection. A quick way to do this without creating a bunch of new textformat objects is to copy the current format into a temp var using tf.getTextFormat(), change the color, and the apply it to the selection with

my_textField.setTextFormat(beginIndex:Number, endIndex:Number, textFormat:TextFormat)

or of course you can maintain a few TextFormat objects if you have a set of styles you wish to work with.

Alternatively you could use a CSS stylesheet, but this may be a rare circumstance where textFormat is better.