From: "David Buff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Playing video backwards kills my CPU

sorry for my bad english...

There is two kinds of movie codec for the compression, first using spacial
compression only (like mjpeg...), and second using spatial compression  in
association with key frame (like mpeg, sorenson...). The key frame
describe
the entire picture only once each 15 frames or 8 frames for exemple. The
other frames describe only what has changed in the picture, with a
threshold. It describe for exemple only the arm of a people who's moving,
but not the background witch do not move.

So when you want to read a movie forward, the codec read the key frame
witch
is the reference to fill the "holes" not described in the other frames.
Each
15 frames, a new key frame describe the entire picture (so also the
background) and define a new reference for the next frames.

The problem is that when you want to play backward, like frame-1, the CPU
need to go 15 frames before to find the previous key frame, load the
entire
description of the picture, and build frame by frame, fill the different
holes of each frames, to be able to display the frame you want.

If you are lucky, your index (frame-1) is the index of a key frame. Then
the
CPU work quickly. But if you are not lucky, your index is (key frame -
14),
then the CPU need to rebuild 14 frames to be able to display the one you
want.

There is no solution to your problem, because Flash don't offer the
possibility to use a "only spatial" codec compression. And this kind of
compression take a lot of Mo because all frames are described.

I thaught to an alternative but never tried it, you can try to draw each
frame of your movie in so many BitmapData you need. It will take a lot of
memory space, and a preload time, but after that, you index the BitmapData
you need, and it will work faster. I don't know if it is possible to draw
.mov frame in a BitmapData. If it's possible, tell us.

David Buff