> A bad practice most likely, but not technically wrong.  I do see it in
> text books from time to time.

When I was in 10th grade, I had a French teacher who marked a question
on a test wrong because the test came from the teacher's version of the
text book and her book had a different (wrong) answer.  The question was
to provide the French word for the opposite of "now".  The correct
answer is "then" but the text book said it was "after".  Everyone knows
the opposite of "before" is "after".  The vocabulary word we learned
that week was the French word for "after" however that was not the
correct answer to the question on the test.  If they wanted me to answer
"after" then the test should have used "before".  I argued with the
teacher for about 20 minutes to no avail and then I took it to the
principal of the school and in the end I lost in the face of absolute
insanity and the question remained marked as incorrect.

That is an extreme example since using "this" is not wrong like saying
the opposite of "now" is "after", but I guess the point I'm trying to
make is that you have complete control over the code you write and the
implication that because a book uses a poor example we should code that
way is just as insane as marking a correct answer on a test wrong
because a book says it is.  :)