-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alain
Rousseau
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 1:22 PM
To: 'Flashcoders mailing list'
Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] Scripted Angled Motion

Hi Kevin,

It's quite simple actually. If you know the angle (it need to be in radians)
all you need after that is the speed of motion. To know the movement in the
x axis it's the cosine of the angle, for the y axis, it's the sine of the
angle so you will have the following :

mc._x = Math.cos(angle)*speed;
mc._y = Math.sin(angle)*speed;

And here is a quick example for that :

import mx.utils.Delegate;

var object:MovieClip = this.object;
var angle:Number = 45;
var DEGtoRAD:Number = Math.PI/180;
angle *= DEGtoRAD;
var speed:Number = 5;
object.onEnterFrame = Delegate.create(this, moveObject);

function moveObject():Void {
        object._x += speed*Math.cos(angle);
        object._y += speed*Math.sin(angle);
        var leftBorder:Number = object._x-object._width;
        var rightBorder:Number = object._x+object._width;

        var topBorder:Number = object._y-object._height;
        var bottomBorder:Number = object._y+object._height;

        var initY:Number = -object._height;
        var initX:Number = -object._width;
        if (leftBorder >= Stage.width) {
                object._x = initX ;
        } else if (rightBorder <= initX) {
                object._x = Stage.width + object._width;
        } else if (bottomBorder <= initY ){
                object._y = Stage.height + object._height;
        } else if (topBorder >= Stage.height) {
                object._y = initY;

In this code you can use Degree angles and then convert them to radians.
This will give you some kind of asteroids game type of motion.

HTH

Alain